I’ve always tried to be a positive sort of person though somehow, someway I end up being “cynically thankful”, like “I’m thankful I’m not that guy sitting on the curb begging” or “I’m thankful that Chevy shielded that cop’s radar from me going ten miles over the speed limit.” That’s ‘thankful’ in a different way.
As I drove through the countryside this morning I started rambling off, in no particular order, things and people that I’m thankful for in my life. While not an all-inclusive list, here goes nothing:
- I’m thankful for my wife and our marriage. I have a terrific wife who does a wonderful job as a mother to our three daughters, acknowledges that she’s not perfect, is extremely smart, is patient with my follies and I know when I’m really funny because that’s when she laughs. If you’d have told me as a young man that I’d have such a terrific wife I’d have thought you were crazy. I love her to death.
- I’m thankful for our daughters. They’re smart, pretty, creative, funny, hardworking and going to be a real catch for the right young men…as soon as I approve of them.
- I’m thankful for our extended families. A real good bunch of folks that I have a fond history with. They’ve seen me grow up, mentored me, taught me and God knows what else they’ve done for me. I thank God for them.
- I’m thankful for our health.
- I’m thankful for our careers. So far, so good.
- I’m thankful for the country that we live in. It’s strong enough, up to this point, that no matter how poorly we’ve been governed we still stand as “free”.
- I’m thankful that I can drive ten minutes and be out in the countryside and “breathe” again in the landscape that I grew up in. Corn and soybean fields galore.
- I’m thankful for the opportunity to learn new things and meet new people in this officiating thing I started doing a couplea months ago. I learn something every game that I do and I hear some pretty funny things from the kids. So far I’ll have around 30 school games this season, and maybe as many club games. Each one interests me.
- I’m thankful for our home. If you had told me as an eighteen year old young man that I’d be living in “this” house I’d have thought that I was “living pretty high on the hog.” It’s no mansion, but we really like it.
- I’m thankful for the church that we attend. Good folks, new minister and a Men’s Bible Study (with some great guys in it) that meets at the Tic Toc bar on every other Wednesday night. Its good discussion, decent food and a few beers. It’s the apostle Paul with an order of onion rings. Good men, which I’m thankful they’re my brothers in Christ.
- I’m thankful that there’s no rockets, bullets or bombs flying and landing in our neighborhood.
- I’m thankful for the bounty which the Lord has provided for us.
- I’m thankful for the love and salvation that’s offered to us by our good Lord.
Have a great, healthy and safe Thanksgiving holiday everyone.
Peace and love,