I’m done crying, or at least that’s what I’m telling myself. I’m wired to live in life…not death. I’m tired of hearing from others how sad I look. I’m tired of folks pulling me in for a hug. I’m tired of sadness and death. I’m done. Instead of crying…I’ll celebrate your life. Remembering your laugh, your energy and orneriness. I’ll be kinder, maybe a little more attentive and better than ever. My hugs will be happy hugs. I’m going to start giving people some good-natured shit. I’m going to start being me again because “sad me” ain’t me.
What’s my “take-a-way” from your death. Life’s short. Touch someone in a positive way like you did. Be someone’s hero. We all like hero’s…right? Be one.
- Donate blood
- Drop off food to a food bank
- Take some clothing and toiletries to a mission or shelter
- Bake someone cookies and drop them off just because you can
- Buy someone a flower
- Hug…nuff said
- Share your time and attention
- Be nice when everyone else isn’t
- Text someone a nice note
- Forgive a debt
- Reach out to a friend who’s having a tough time and then reach out again
- Call someone and leave the following message “WWWHHHHHAAAATTTTZZZZZUUUUPPPPPP?!”
- Don’t be so critical of yourself
- Tip well
- Act like a bigshot and order hot fudge sundaes for the whole table
- Encourage high fives when its so awkward that its funny “don’t leave me hangin’ homie!!”
- Bring a dozen donuts when no one expects you to
- Show up
- Do what it takes to show others your love for them
I think that our good and gracious Lord talks to us throughout our day. On the way to your visitation I turned on the radio and Guns and Roses “Knockin’ on Heaven’s Door” was just beginning. On my way to your funeral this song came on. I had to smile, if even through the tears. Its one of my favorites. It rings so very, very true to me these days.
Crying won’t bring you back…celebrating your life keeps you alive in my mind…in my heart. They buried a body…they didn’t bury my friend. My friend lives on. I’ll see my friend again. I’m going to start living again.