Unless the folks in charge of officials suddenly realize that they’ve left me out of sub-state or state action, my high school season of officiating basketball is over until November. Its kind of a melancholy moment, realizing that you’re not thought highly enough of to get the “great games” but honestly….I’m sore and tired. My whole body hurt by the time the season ended. Oh….by the way…yours truly got three post-season games. My season ended with a flurry of six games in six nights, with the furthest being an hour and a half away on a Monday night. Regardless…here are bullet points of my season:
- Last season I assigned five technical fouls. This season only one. I could have had three more very easily but chose instead to talk to the coaches, to calm them down. In hind-sight…I should’ve whacked ’em. All three were sub-varsity coaches behaving poorly. I did the game no favors by letting them pace the sideline, holler like they were coaching the Bulls and question every call. I applaud their passion, though want the game to be the show…not the coach.
- I had a (wait for it….) good season. Only one regrettable moment where I put the ball into play without my partners being ready. Sounds innocent enough….right? WRONG. DEAD WRONG. I lost sleep over that brain fart. Lesson learned. It won’t happen again.
- I worked a game with the flu. I thought that I was going to die on the way home. Didn’t.
- I worked a weeks worth of games with a cold. It felt like my legs were tree stumps. When I work games with a cold I don’t take cold medicine….I gotta keep my focus, even if I feel like a baby treats a diaper.
- We have a new partner on our three-man crew for next season. His name is Jon. Jon works out and eats right. Jon’s built like a brick ****house. Our other partner is fifteen years younger than me and works out too. I think that I’m in for some serious body-shaming this upcoming season if I don’t lose ten pounds and get into the gym soon…and stay there. (dammit!!)
- No sooner does my high school season end for 2017 when…eleven games for 2017-2018 show up in my email. Eleven!! (This is how nerdy I am…) I’m looking forward to them already. Most are teams that I’ve done before though there are a few new ones there. Good road trips type of games. I. Can’t. Wait!!
Photos gallery of this past season:
Baseball starts in two and a half months. Time to get into the rule book. Sadly…my real love really begins on December 5th….for now. More games should be assigned soon. Thanks for coming along. God bless!